Neutral Corrosion Resources
August 30, 2017
- Neutral Corrosion: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions – hosted by T&D World
- Causes and Consequences of Neutral Corrosion with Glen Bertini
- Neutral Corrosion: Causes, Identification & Mitigation with Vern Buchholtz
White Papers, Standards, and Guides
- Technical Paper: Neutral Corrosion-Significance, Causes & Mitigation
- This paper reviews six neutral corrosion issues and provides data to shed some light on the overall significance of the phenomenon.
- IEEE Guide for Detection, Mitigation, and Control of Concentric Neutral Corrosion in Medium-Voltage Underground Cables
- IEEE PES ICC Subcommittee F07W(P1617): Cable Neutral Corrosion
- To provide a forum for discussions related to cable neutral corrosion and collect relevant data in order to issue a guide covering control of neutral corrosion.
Detection and Mitigation Procedures
- Novinium Rejuvenation Instructions (NRI) 260: TDR Diagnosis
- This NRI covers the following: How to use Impedance Transition Device (ITD) Streamliners. How to use the time domain reflectometer (TDR) for the 1205CXA Model family.
- Novinium Rejuvenation Instructions (NRI) 270: RF Locating
- This NRI covers: How to use the Rigid SR-60/20 Locator and ST-305 5-watt Transmitter. How to locate splices, neutral corrosion, and other anomalies. How to change settings of the Rigid Locator.
- Novinium Rejuvenation Instructions (NRI) 810: Neutral Corrosion Repair
- This NRI covers: How to correct and mitigate neutral corrosion.
Blog and Articles
- Blog: Neutral Corrosion
- Read the Novinium blog for more information on neutral corrosion. Search “neutral corrosion” in the search bar or use the categories to refine your search.
- Technical Paper: Molecular Thermodynamics of Water in Direct-Buried Power Cables
- G. J. Bertini, “Molecular thermodynamics of water in direct-buried power cables,” in IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 17-23, Nov.-Dec. 2006.
- Article: Neutral Corrosion Problem Overstated
- Recent study suggests problem may not be as serious as once thought. Bob Gurniak, Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. | T&D World Magazine | Aug 1, 1996